Today Holly died of heart failure at age 15. The vet said that the venom from the snakebite years ago weakened her heart muscles. We are sad.
In 2004, this very week, a nice young mare of ours nearly died. She was only three at the time. Ironically, her registered name with the American Quarter Horse Association (A.Q.H.A.) is Hollywood Survivor. We call her Holly.
What happened? Well, Holly showed up at the water tank with a grossly swollen nose. She looked like a cartoon character, but it wasn’t funny. A rattlesnake had bit her on the nose. There were telltale fang marks. Now you know why I wrote in a couple other blogs about killing rattlers. We don’t see them every day or every week or even every month, but in the summer, we kill two or three that we come across.
When a horse gets bit on the nose, it is usually while grazing, accidently crossing paths with a snake. Horses cannot breathe through their mouths, so when their nostrils close from the swelling, they just…
View original post 592 more words